Certain indoor and outdoor plants can be aesthetically pleasing, but there are certain toxic plants that can cause a plethora of problems.
We’re not talking about the unwanted invaders like poison ivy or poison oak; we’re talking about ornamental plants planted by you.
Plants generally produce metabolites to protect them from various threats such as insects, predators, and pathogens. These toxins produced by the plants result from natural or novel reproductive processes that strengthen the plant’s defensive mechanism.
Depending on the toxins involved, these substances can affect the body in different ways if touched or ingested in sufficient quantities. Some plants, for example, affect the kidneys, while others impact the heart, induce muscular tremors, or cause vomiting.
Many of us share our homes with a cat or a dog – or perhaps both! These animals are curious and prefer to explore the world with their mouths and paws, hence in order to keep them safe it’s important to consider plant toxicity when choosing a houseplant. The non-toxic plants too can cause stomach upset when ingested, but technically this is not the same as actual toxicity.
Therefore, recognizing which plant is toxic and which is not is critical to keep our furry buddy safe.
How do we identify whether the plants blooming in our backyard are malignant or not, why they are harmful, what are the symptoms of plant poisoning, how to treat it, and most importantly, how to prevent the harm? We believe that these are the questions that are running through your mind.
Well, don’t you worry! We, Plants Craze, are here to answer all of these queries. Thoroughly go through these to protect yourself and your furry companions.
We hope! Next time you want to add a new plant to your collection, you won’t have to worry about selecting toxic plants.