This article was last updated by on

Are Tulip Bulbs Edible: Can They Kill?

Tulip bulbs were a famine food during World War 2 for Dutch people, but it’s puzzling whether they are completely edible due to their supposed toxic traits!

Generally, Tulip bulbs aren’t edible as the bulbs have high concentrations of toxic tulipalin. However, if you remove the central yellow stem of the bulb, you may safely eat it, but there’s still no strong evidence to support this fact!

The yellow core part of the bulb later develops into the stems, hence becoming toxic.

So, this article will clarify whether you need to eat Tulip bulbs and whether you can avoid the toxic effect.

Are All Tulip Bulbs Poisonous?

Besides their delightful appearance, Tulips may cause stomach upset and extreme mouth irritation if you ingest their parts.

Almost all parts of any Tulip species are toxic, including the central yellow core of the bulb, except their flower petals.

The bulb may be severely poisonous if you swallow the central yellow part, as it contains the highest amount of tulipalin.

Several Tulip Bulbs
Tulip bulbs contain most of the toxins in the core yellow part.

But, it is claimed that Tulip bulbs are edible without their central yellow part as it was a famine food in the Netherlands during world war 2.

Tulip bulbs have a milky taste when fresh that gradually tastes like an onion when mature.

Also, the petals are edible and contain several medicinal and culinary benefits.

Disclaimer: It’s not scientifically proven whether the Tulip bulb or other parts are edible. This article is only for general information and  does not encourage you to eat Tulip bulb without consulting professionals.  

What Happens If You Eat A Tulip Bulb?

Tulip bulbs are a good remedy for coughs and colds if you eat them in the right ways.

However, they may show serious gastrointestinal symptoms and severe mouth irritation if you eat them with their yellow part.

Meanwhile, the plant can be a good food source during the food crisis. The scales of the bulb taste just like an onion.

Thus, if your babies, cats, or dogs ate tulip bulbs and suffer from stomach upset and irritation, contact the nearest hospital or pet poison helpline.

From Editorial Team

Don’t Try Anything Out of Wonderment!

We all need to understand that the people in the Netherlands during World War 2 had no other options rather than eating Tulip bulbs.

However, other bulby vegetables, like onion and garlic, have an excellent taste and zero toxicity. So, we recommend not to eat anything out of curiosity.