This article was last updated by on

Is Your Polka Dot Plant Poisonous?

Polka Dot Plant is a very colorful plant, and I wanted to add beauty by bringing a new baby to my house.

However, I thought about it and did not get it to my home without knowing whether it is poisonous for my family and pets or not.

We need to be extra careful about the things we bring to our house, including plants.

If we have pets and babies in our place, we have to be more cautious.

Polka Dot Plant is not poisonous and is safe for pets like cats, dogs, etc. Still, if ingested, it causes severe burning and irritation in the mouth of your furry friends. It might also cause diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, and dizziness. 

Some plants are toxic, whereas some are not. Still, if consumed, even non-poisonous plants can make anyone sick.

So, before getting a new plant for your home, learn about the toxicity and a few requirements of that plant.

Read on, and learn about the Polka Dot Plant and its characteristics, especially toxicity.

Is Polka Dot Plant Poisonous?

The simple answer to this question is a NO.

However, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness if ingested.

Polka Dot Plant
Polka Dot Plant (Source:

What Part of Polka Dot Plant are Poisonous?

Unlike the Rubber plant, not any part of the Polka Dot Plant is poisonous.

ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) has claimed that the Polka Dot Plant is non-poisonous to Dogs, Cats, Horses, etc.

It is also non-toxic to humans.

So, you can grow it indoors without any doubt, which is also a great alternative to some toxic plants that might affect your family or pets.

Polka Dot Plants And A Dog (Source: PetittiGardenCentres)

Is Polka Dot Plant Toxic to Dogs and Cats?

In general, the Polka Dot Plant is considered non-toxic to your pets, yet we have to be careful and not let our pets eat any parts of this plant.

As pet owners, we know that our furry friends are likely to put anything inside their mouths, and plants are no exception.

It may result in severe or mild problems depending on the amount of the plant your pets have eaten.

One of the primary effects of plant ingestion is stomach aches.

It might also cause mild oral and gastrointestinal problems to your hairy friends.

Although these symptoms are not life-threatening, your companion might suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, drooling, dizziness, etc., if they ingest the plant in large portions.

It can also cause burning and irritation in the mouth.

In some cases, skin irritation, rashes, and allergies might occur.

If it happens, your pet might scratch or lick the itchy areas as the skin becomes dry.

It will result in a deep wound in the skin of your fuzzy babies.

So, it is okay to keep any non-toxic plants inside your house where your pets can not reach them, including the Polka Dot Plant.

Is Polka Dot Plant Toxic for my Family?

Most indoor plants are considered non-poisonous to humans.

It also includes the Polka Dot Plant, which means it is non-toxic to your family.

House Plant and a Baby
House Plant and a Baby (Source:

This plant is available in different colors, adding beauty to your house, and making it peaceful and soothing.

If you have babies around your home, keeping the Polka Dot Plant, where they can not reach out would be better.

That is because if they ingest the plant, it might upset their stomach.

Hence, it is one of the most beautiful and unique indoor plants, which can be placed anywhere around your house to enhance the indoor environment.

Is Polka Dot Begonia Toxic to Humans and Pets?

Polka Dot Begonia belongs to the Begoniaceae family, similar to Beefsteak Begonia.

Most plants belonging to the family Begoniaceae are toxic to humans and pets, which might cause different health problems, including kidney failure.

However, in the case of Polka Dot Begonia, it is non-poisonous to humans and pets. So, there’s no need to worry.

Polka Dot Begonia (Source: Pinterest)

Hence, you can place this plant anywhere around your home, like a dressing table, a tea table, a kitchen counter, staircases, etc.

You have to be careful about your plant placement if you have babies and pets.

Symptoms of Polka Dot Plant Poisoning

As Polka Dot Plant is not a poisonous plant, it does not have any life-threatening effects.

It can still cause some health issues if consumed. Some of the symptoms are:

  • Stomach ache
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Dizziness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Allergies
  • Skin irritation and rashes
  • Burning and irritation of mouth

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests Polka Dot Plant?

Even if the plant is non-toxic, the first advisable thing to do would be to call your nearby local veterinarian and ask for help without panicking.

Keep your pet away at a safe place until your veterinarian arrives at your location. Separate your other pets (if you have any) and keep them away from the plants.

If you see your pet eating the plant, take it out of its mouth right away.

An emergency hotline number of (ASPCA) Animal Poison Control Center Number (888) 426-4435.

You can call this number any time of the day as it remains open 24 hours, all 365 days.

Do not give anything to your pet, and do not try to induce the vomiting until your vet recommends it. Some plants might irritate other areas after vomiting up.

People tend to try home remedies, but sometimes instead of doing good, it may cause harm.

So, it is better not to do any experiments at that moment.

If necessary, give medication, BUT only after consulting a vet.

Prevention and Safety for Dogs and Cats

  • Place your plant in a location where your pets do not go very often.
  • Protect your plants with a decorative birdcage.
  • Train your pets not to eat plants.
  • Add a few lemon peels or coffee grounds to the pot. Pets are unlikely to go near the plant because of the strong smell.
  • Feed your pets on time.
  • Keep your plants where your pets cannot reach. Any high, inaccessible location works.

Measures to Protect Yourself While Handling Polka Dot Plant

  • As Polka Dot Plant is non-toxic, look out for symptoms of an allergy.
  • Avoid ingesting any part of the plant.
  • Wear usual gardening gloves, and it would be better if you wore a mask.
  • Protect yourself by wearing gardening gear while planting, potting, and tending it.
  • Avoid touching your face, eyes, or other areas with gloves on.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water after you finish working with plants.

That way, you don’t have to worry about spreading potential allergens around or accidentally swallowing any chemicals you used to plant it.

Final Thought

As Polka Dot Plant is a non-toxic plant, you must follow basic gardening techniques, place your plants according to your preferences, keep your babies and pets in mind (if you have any), and you and your family will be fine.

Hence, it is a beautiful plant to grow indoors, making your place calm and soothing.

If your Polka Dot plant is not growing healthy and is in the phase of dying, check out this link Polka Dot Plant Dying: Reasons and Solutions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *