Although a beautiful showpiece for indoors, Bamboo Palm must be kept away as it is toxic to your cats due to chemicals residing in some of its parts!
Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii) is a beautiful subtropical houseplant known as the Parlor Palm or Reed Palm.
If you own a cat or kitten as a pet, go through this entire article before adding this incredible plant to your indoor space.
Table of Contents Show
Is Bamboo Palm Toxic To Pets?
Bamboo Palm is a beautiful houseplant popular for indoor air purification and enhancement of indoor aesthetics.
Moreover, it can produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, reducing harmful toxins like benzene from the air.
However, pets like cats and dogs may tear the foliage, fruits, and flowers and eat them out of their curiosity.
But, it isn’t a matter of worry as most parts of Bamboo Palm are non-toxic to pets and humans, according to ASPCA.
Although most parts are harmless, your pets may still suffer from stomach upset if they swallow the plant in large quantities.
How Much Is Bamboo Palm Toxic To Cats?
As said earlier, Bamboo Palms are cat-friendly, and the leaves and stems of this plant do not contain any toxic compounds.
However, you must be cautious about its little red berries that go black when they ripen, which are highly poisonous.
These berries contain oxalic crystals that cause allergic reactions, including nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, etc.
Moreover, your cats may face stomach issues even if they ingest the non-toxic parts in large quantities.
Thus, keep your cats away from Bamboo Palms and deadhead the flowers before they produce fruits to prevent cats from eating them.
In case of accidental ingestion, contact:
What To Do If Your Cat Eats Bamboo Palms?
Your cat may face allergic reactions and mouth parts swelling soon after eating the fruit. The condition may be severe in large ingestion.
You must contact the nearest veterinarian, but home care and first aid will benefit in emergencies.
- Take out the leftover parts of the fruits and dispose of them in the proper places.
- Feed some curd and water to flush the toxins in the body.
- Never force your cat to vomit, as it makes the irritation worst.
- Feeding 1 gram of activated charcoal helps to absorb the poison.
- Wash your cat’s mouth with water or milk to remove oxalate from the mouth.
These are only the home remedies helpful for harsh situations. You must seek medical help for your cat as soon as possible.
From Editorial Team
Keep Your Cats Away From Bamboo Palms!
Keeping Bamboo Palms out of the reach of cats will not only prevent your cats from toxic fruits, but also help to maintain the plant’s aesthetics.
Grow edible grasses for your curious cats and provide them your time, ensuring they don’t get bored to prevent eating Bamboo Palm.