Eucalyptus is popular for its positive effects brought by its aromatic fragrance, but they ain’t kind and safe when it is for cats.
Thus, stick till the end to know the common ground between unsafe Eucalyptus and cats.
Table of Contents Show
- What Causes Eucalyptus to be Toxic for Cats?
- Which Part of Eucalyptus is Poisonous?
- What Amount of Eucalyptus is Toxic to Cats?
- Symptoms of Eucalyptus Poisoning in Cats
- Treatment of Eucalyptus Poisoning in Cats
- Recovery from Eucalyptus Ingestion Poisoning
- How to Prevent Your Cats from Eating Eucalyptus?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up…
What Causes Eucalyptus to be Toxic for Cats?
According to the ASPCA, Eucalyptus, also known as gum or stringybark tree, is unsafe due to eucalyptol.
Also, their curious nature with sensitive noses may sniff off Eucalyptus and put themselves at risk.
Thus, it is advised to opt for prompt measures to avoid unpleasant events.
Which Part of Eucalyptus is Poisonous?
Every part of the Eucalyptus plant consists of eucalyptol. So, every part of Eucalyptus is poisonous to cats.
Moreover, they can nibble out the plant out of sheer boredom.
Thus, if they nibble out any part of the plant, signs of poisoning will kick in shortly.
What Amount of Eucalyptus is Toxic to Cats?
Depending upon the amount of consumption, the severity of Eucalyptus poisoning varies.
Consumption in small amounts may not develop symptoms, but larger amounts result in severe poisoning.
Moreover, ingestion in large amounts can damage the internal organs of your felines.
Thus, if you suspect your cat nibbling out on the Eucalyptus plant, immediately seek professional help.
Furthermore, you should be on your toes if your cat is playing around the Eucalyptus.
They develop passive reactions shortly after inhaling the plant odor.
Here are some of the helplines to give a call under such hazardous Eucalyptus Poisoning.
Symptoms of Eucalyptus Poisoning in Cats
The symptoms of Eucalyptus poisoning may kick in within a couple of minutes or may take several hours.
So, don’t get convinced with no symptoms and call the vet just to be sure.
Cats can experience excessive drooling, vomiting, seizure, diarrhea, skin irritation and depression.
Generally, Eucalyptus poisoned cats also have watery eyes and are often weak with a wobbly walk.
Your cats may also hide in dark corners of the room, away from the noise and light.
Depending upon the severity of the poisoning, minor ones disappear without treatment. That said, don’t wait for symptoms to disappear.
Treatment of Eucalyptus Poisoning in Cats
There are a few things that you can do before consulting vets to quicken the treatment process.
That would confirm the main culprit behind your cats’ suffering.
Here I have enlisted a couple of signs besides symptoms to confirm its Eucalyptus poisoning.
- Eucalyptus residues in cats’ mouths
- Strangled, swatted or broken plant foliage
- Fallen stems on the ground with visible nibbling signs
- Cat vomits near or around the plant
- Cat paws on top of the soil
You can collect evidence confirming your cat ate Eucalyptus, like vomits and residues, and show it to vets.
First Aid for Eucalyptus Poisoning in Cats
Even if the first thing you do should be to call vets, you may also give your cats first aid to lower their suffering.
Here are some first-aid treatments you can do to ease the pain while waiting for the vet.
- Take your cat to an open, well-lit, and well-ventilated area.
- Clean any plant residues present in the mouth.
- Identify the cause and exposure of poisoning, if possible
- If your cat vomits, collect a sample and take it to the vet.
- If your cat is awake with light symptoms, feed it fresh water to reduce the toxicity.
- Wrap them in a soft blanket if they are struggling a lot.
- Clean their coat using lukewarm water and soap to lower skin irritation and clean toxins off the skin.
Furthermore, you may give your cat activated carbon to adsorb the toxins as per the vet’s prescription.
Disclaimer: If you do not have any medical expertise, do not get carried away and administer any medicine to your cat.
Recovery from Eucalyptus Ingestion Poisoning
Remember, the earlier your cat receives treatment, the quicker the recovery.
Thus, prompt treatment and mild symptoms can go away within 2 to 12 hours.
That said, cats may take more than a day or even a week to recover if they have eaten a large amount of Eucalyptus.
Furthermore, you shall feed your cats with light, liquid foods. Otherwise, you may follow veterinarians advised recovery diet routine.
Give your cat plenty of fluid to drink and let them rest so they can be back on their feet soon.
How to Prevent Your Cats from Eating Eucalyptus?
Here are some preventive measures to prevent your cat from getting poisoned.
- Before buying an indoor plant, learn the plant’s toxicity profile.
- Place the Eucalyptus beyond the cats’ or any other pets’ reach.
- Pet-proof the place by putting a fence around the plant.
- Avoid diffusing Eucalyptus oil in the air.
- Apply cat deterrent spray or use garlic cloves and neem oil around the plant.
- Place sticky tapes with the sticky sides facing upwards to avoid cats’ invasion.
- Grow alternative chewing plants like Cat grass.
- Entertain your cats by giving them toys like feather toys.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Eucalyptus safe for cats to smell?
No! Cats should not be allowed to sniff Eucalyptus or its essential oils because they are not safe.
Can I hang Eucalyptus in my shower if I have a cat?
With proper caution, you may hang Eucalyptus in the shower. But remember, Eucalyptus-soaked water is again toxic to cats.
Are cats attracted to Eucalyptus?
No, the fragrance we fancy about Eucalyptus is something cats despise the most. So, they are not attracted to Eucalyptus.
Let us face it Eucalyptus is not an ideal cat-friendly plant to have in the house. But they have their beneficial properties.
Thus strategically locate Eucalyptus so that cats can’t access it while you enjoy their air purifying benefits.
All The Best!