If you own a cat and have Peace Lilies, you’re probably wondering – Are they poisonous to cats? And the precise answer is “Yes.”
Please read this article until the end to learn about the dangers of a Peace lily for your cats.
Table of Contents Show
What Makes Peace Lilies Poisonous to Cats?
Luckily, Peace Lilies’ chemical compound is less toxic than true Lilies. These plants produce insoluble calcium, known as oxalate crystals.
The raphides are stored inside plant cells, damaging them while chewing fills them with water. This causes the cell to swell up and burst, forcing the crystals into the surrounding environment.
Raphides destroy the sensitive tissues in the mouth, tongue, throat, etc., leaving the cat with a burning sensation.
To conclude, Peace Lilies are less dangerous than other toxic Lilies plants. But although the presence of Peace Lilies seems to be aesthetic and pleasing, it remains hazardous to your cat and pets.
So make sure that you keep your pet away from your Peace Lilies. Wondering what the best way to do it is? Well, we will discuss that later.
Which Part of Peace Lilies are Poisonous to Cats?
You can find the poisonous compound of calcium oxalate in every part of this plant.
If your cat eats even a tiny bit of peace lilies leaves or stems, the plant will release its fatal crystal and can cause extreme pain to your cat.
By chewing or biting this plant’s flower petal, your cat’s tissues penetrate and cause severe irritation and burn to its mouth.
So basically, every inch of Peace lilies is harmful to your cat. Peace Lilies leaves, stems, flowers, and pollen are poisonous to cats.
As the plant doesn’t taste good, it is unusual for your cat to ingest a lot of Peace Lily.
However, the good news is that your lovable cat will survive these ordeals unscathed.
Symptoms of Peace Lilies Poisoning in Cats
The continuous scratching of their cheeks with their paws is the most telling sign that your cat has eaten Peace Lily.
If your cat had eaten Peace Lilies, then your cat’s mouth, lips, and tongue would most likely be swollen, distressed, and in pain.
Moreover, to make it more precise, the following are primary symptoms of Peace Lily poisoning in cats.
- Vomiting or Dry Heaving
- Loss of Appetite
- Oral Pain
- Pawing in the Mouth
- Constant Yowling
- Nausea and Diarrhea
The most straightforward approach to detect Peace Lily poisoning is to observe your cat nibbling the plant or to notice bite marks or other visible damage on your Lily.
First Aid for Poisoned Cat
Follow these steps to provide first aid to the cat.
- Wear suitable gloves and move your cat to a well-ventilated area.
- Immediately call a vet and tell them about the problems. If you visit the vet, take a part of the plant the cat has ingested with you.
- Prepare an activated charcoal syrup and feed your cat with a syringe. Use 1 gram of powder for every pound of the cat.
You can follow the following steps for a better first-aid procedure.
- Take out the remaining parts of Peace lilies from the cat’s oral cavity.
- Wash the cavity with fresh and clean water.
- Wash every part of the cat that has been in contact with a Peace Lily.
- Make your cat drink water to avoid dehydration.
However, if these things do not work well, you can apply some effective home remedies, which are given below.
- Give yogurt and lactose-free milk to soothe the burning sensation.
- Let them drink milk to regain energy.
- Let them breathe in the fresh air.
- Make them consume any protein in the form of fluid.
- Give them nutrition to restore the electrolytes lost.
However, avoid giving your cat a lot of dairy products because it will cause diarrhea and make it feel worse.
Remember, the above are just the basic first aid methods you can follow. If these things still don’t work, then go for medication.
You can also call the following helplines immediately.
Recovery of a Poisoned Cat
As Peace Lilies fall under the less toxic Lilies breed, your cat doesn’t have to suffer for long—however, recovery depends upon the amount consumed by your cat.
Generally, sickness lasts between 12 and 24 hours after consuming Mauna Loa Peace Lily.
6-12 hours = The cat drools and vomits. It shows an immense desire to drink more water.
12-24 hours = The cat gets periodic seizures and walks strangely. It may sometime lead to kidney failure.
Two weeks = Sometimes, the cat may show some mild symptoms, but most of the time, they recover completely.
Between these periods, cats need extra care with proper and nutritious food.
Most cats heal entirely and have no long-term consequences. This is because most cats do not consume a massive chunk of the plant.
In the worst cases, your cat may suffer breathing difficulties during recovery. In that situation, you should seek professional care.
You need to watch this video if you have both Peace lily and a cat at your home,
How to Prevent your Cat from Eating Peace Lily?
Cats are curious, so they play around full of fun and even eat plants. Likewise, they also love digging in the dirt around the plant.
However, for your cat’s health, you need toxic plants away from them, especially if they are lilies.
Here are the following ways to prevent your cat from eating Peace Lily.
- You can surround your Peace Lily pot with a plastic carpet protector with a knobby side up.
- You can use vinegar or a spray like a spritz deterrent that won’t affect your Peace Lilies but irritate your cat to play around.
- You can use a silent roar containing lion feces whose smells indicate that another powerful stranger has already claimed plants.
- You can also use lavender or rosemary, which have scents that cats dislike.
- Leave some toys around your cats so they will be busy playing with them.
- Plant some bait plants so that munching can satisfy your cat’s chewing needs.
- Place the plant somewhere the cat cannot reach or see or shield the plant by placing it inside terrariums.
So, by reading this article, you might have learned how Peace lilies are poisonous to cats.
It’s critical to consult a veterinarian before things become any worse. It’s also worth noting that the Peace Lily is toxic to cats, although it won’t kill them.
The symptoms are unpleasant, but they will pass in a few hours.
All you have to do now is maintain your composure, and everything will fall into place.