Sunflowers, the national flower of Russia and Ukraine, have wide varieties, but the most loveable one is the Red Sunflowers.
Scroll till the end to let the article guide you about the Red Sunflowers and its care tips and benefits.
Table of Contents Show
- Are Red Sunflowers Natural?
- Red Sunflowers Meaning
- Red Sunflowers Varieties
- Benefits of Red Sunflowers
- How to Grow Red Sunflowers From Seeds?
- How to care for Red Sunflowers
- Red Sunflowers For Sale
- Final Thought
Are Red Sunflowers Natural?
Most of us have a mindset of Sunflowers being yellow to orange in color, but that’s just because of our ignorance.
Take Red Sunflowers as an example itself. They give such an unnatural look making us think that the yellow color might have dyed over time and is fake.
Red Sunflowers or Mexican Sunflowers might not be the rarest, but they are rare in houses like other common Sunflowers.
Here is the table for a quick overview of Red Sunflower.
|Scientific Name||Tithonia Rotundifolia|
|Origin||Tropical region of North America|
|Growth Habit||Place with low wind, bright direct sunlight, and requires a stake in the mature stage.|
|Height||1 to 8 feet based on type|
|Leaf Structure||Triangle to heart shape with hairs on lower surface,
|Leaf Color and Size||Green
2.5-12 inches in length
4-8 inches width
|Flower Structure||Rays like with large petals|
|Grown for||Seeds and Flower.|
|Blooming Time||Mid-summer till early frost.|
|Toxicity||Non-toxic to humans and animals|
|Plant Type||Annual and perennial forb|
Red Sunflowers Meaning
Red Sunflowers are herbaceous annual or perennial, depending on their varieties, taking over your gardens and indoors too.
People also worship the flower as a symbol of the God of the Sun.
Also, as a symbol of longevity and expression of love, the beautiful bloody Sunflower goes well with red roses.
Not only with red, but you can prefer other shades of roses to the combination of Sunflowers, as it will all hold a tremendous floral arrangement.
Red Sunflowers Varieties
Never go behind the name of Red Sunflower, thinking that it only offers a red color variety.
Here is an entire table to identify various red Sunflowers.
|Types||Plant Height Range||Flower Features|
|Autumn Beauty||5 feet - 8 feet||Petal color varies from brick red to burgundy and deep yellow to golden with some bicolor type and are pollenless.|
|Black Beauty Sunflowers||4 feet - 6 feet||Deep velvety-maroon petals that appears as black in color and are pollen free.|
|Cherry Rose||4 feet - 6 feet||Petals have deep cherry to maroon color with light peach tips and are pollen free.|
|Chianti Sunflowers||4 feet - 5 feet||Wine-red petals splashed with gold and purplish stem, and are pollen less.|
|Chocolate||6 feet - 7 feet||Brown petals on the top with striped yellow beneath the petals, and has pollen.|
|Crimson Queen||3 feet - 6 feet||Deep red with fiery orange petals and are pollen free.|
|Double Dandy||1 feet - 2 feet||Petals appears as a double blooms and has reddish mauve color and are pollen free.|
|Evening Sun||6 feet - 8 feet||Small flowers with petals resembling the sunset and has warm copper to mahogany, rust and sometimes bicolored shades and has pollen.|
|Fire Catcher||4 feet - 5 feet||Bicolor with yellow to deep red to orange shade and have pollen.|
|Indian Blanket||4 feet - 5 feet||Bicolor with the mix of deep red and rusty rusts in the mid and deep golds to mellow yellow tips and are pollen less.|
|Little Becka||2 feet - 3 feet||Petals have yellow to fiery copper tips with red shade in the mid, and are pollen free.|
|Moulin Rouge||4 feet - 8 feet||Deep red petals and are pollen free.|
|Procut Red(Burgundy Sunflower)||4 feet - 6 feet||Petals have deep burgundy color appearing as black and are pollen free.|
|Red Sun||5 feet - 6 feet||Vibrant red to orange petals with small area near the center has yellow shine and have pollen.|
|Red Wave||3 feet - 4 feet||Petals are velvety red in color with pollen free center.|
|Ring of Fire||4 feet - 5 feet||Petals have ring of red in the mid surrounding the chocolate brown center with a vibrant yellow tip and are pollen free.|
|Rouge Royale||4 feet - 8 feet||True red petals with dark burgundy shades and are pollen free.|
|Tiger Eye||2 feet - 6 feet||Bright yellow petals with deep crimson center as if an eye and are pollen free.|
|Velvet Queen||5 feet - 7 feet||Petals have deep red-mahogany shade from its center with traces of orange at the tip and are pollen less.|
|Fire Cracker||2 feet - 3 feet||Small with bicolor combination of golden yellow tip and bright red mid and are pollen free.|
Benefits of Red Sunflowers
The Mexican Sunflower is a lovable and widely spread flower for its color combination and beautiful sun rays like flowers.
The ornamental plant offers benefits in our daily life that we are unaware of. So look at the list below.
1. Home Decoration
The beautiful Red Sunflower has that vibrantly red-maroon look, with yellow to a golden combination, providing a classy look.
Among all, I tried Red Sunflowers with peach roses for my kitchen decor by making a bouquet.
You can also choose to keep it in a vase as it will add to the aesthetic value of your guest room, corner table in the living room, or study room.
If you have one, you can also use the flowers for a vintage look for your restaurants and cafe.
2. Culinary Use
After bringing the Mexican Sunflower, try using the petals to decorate salads and dinner plates for your loved ones and enjoy the ambiance.
Moreover, the tiny, black seeds can produce an oil used for cooking, as the oil from Red Sunflowers is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids and easy to digest.
You can also prepare dishes from Red Sunflowers seeds and use the petals as a color additive for your salad and desserts.
DIY Recipe for Salad
One of the best recipes can be the grape, bacon, and sunflower seeds salad, whose complete process is as follows:
- Fry eight thin pieces of bacon over a frying pan until reddish brown.
- Soak the extra oil in the paper towel and crumble 7 of it.
- Mix the crumbled bacon with 1/3 cup of Sunflower seed kernels in a resealable bag.
- Mix one head of broccoli cut into small pieces with 1 cup of seedless grapes and 1/3 cup of chopped onion in a bowl.
- Whisk a cup of mayonnaise with three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of white sugar.
- Crumble down the last piece of bacon to mix in the bowl, and add black pepper as per your taste.
- Pour the mix into the mix of veggies and toss it smoothly to cover the entire portion.
- Now, you can cover the bowl with something or plastic wrap and let it marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- At last, sprinkle the mixture of bacon and sunflower seed before serving, and mix them well. I hope you enjoy it!
3. Plant as a Gift
You might have already received the Red Sunflowers from your friends, relatives, or partner as a gesture.
It would also be an excellent gift for a baby shower, as Sunflower defines purity and innocence.
Besides, dresses with Red Sunflowers go well for cocktail parties. So you can enjoy the benefits of Sunflowers to their fullest.
4. Nutritional Benefits
The fruit of the Red Sunflower is its seeds which hold high nutritional value and are rich in minerals, vitamins, and healthy fats.
Here is the nutritional value of 30g of shelled seeds.
|Vitamin A||15 IU|
|Vitamin B6||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
5. Medicinal Benefits
According to Food Source Information, the Sunflower Seeds oil is suitable for people with cholesterol problems and has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
Getting flavor along with medicinal benefits is a bonus for your body, as Red Sunflower seeds have an abundance of phytochemicals like flavonoids, phenolic acids, and peptides.
How to Grow Red Sunflowers From Seeds?
The method suitable for propagation is by seed. There is propagation by cutting, too, but that is more useful for the perennial variety of sunflowers.
However, you can try growing them in your garden by buying seeds from online sites and following specific steps.
Red Sunflower Outdoors
The Mexican Sunflower looks beautiful as a lawn and garden plant once they reach its maximum height, and you may try that for your house.
- Find a spot that receives plenty of daily direct sunlight for at least 6 to 8 hrs.
- Dig the soil half inches deep from the ground.
- Place the seeds at a spacing of 6 inches from one another when the soil has a warm temperature.
- Apply loose soil over the seed and water it regularly to maintain the moist level, as it cannot tolerate drought in the seedling stage.
- Keep a check for pests like field cricket, bunnies, thrips, and beetles in the seedling stage, as they may attack the plant quickly.
Red Sunflower Indoors
If you plan to use the Red Sunflower as an indoor houseplant, you might have to give extra care initially, but you can follow the steps to tackle the situation efficiently.
- Choose a container according to your variety size.
- Mainly for small variety, the pot should be 8 inches and use around 12-18 inches container for a wider variety.
- Fill 3/4 of the entire container with well-draining, light soil and place one to two seeds in an 8-inch pot and around three to four seeds in an 18-inch pot.
- Apply loose soil over the seed up to 1/2 inch deep, or you can see the label in the package.
- Put the plant in a space receiving 6-8 hours of direct sunlight or under grow light if it is not receiving enough light.
- Place your Sunflower near the southwest-facing window when blooming has taken its course.
- Sprinkle the water a bit each day, and do not overdo it.
- After germination, you need to water the plant once every five days and keep 4 to 5 inches of the soil consistently moist.
How to care for Red Sunflowers
Look below to understand the requirement for Red Sunflowers.
|Sunlight||6-8 hours of direct sunlight.|
|Watering||Water daily during the seedling stage and in their growing stage provide them with at least 7.5 litres of water weekly.|
|Soil||Well-draining,slightly acidic soil rich in organic matter.
pH from 6.0 to 7.5
|Fertilization||Diluted liquid fertilizer solution once every 7-10 days|
|Repotting||When seedlings are 30cm (1ft) tall|
|Pruning||Twice a year for perennial sunflowers|
|Pests||Use Neem oil, or insecticidal soap to control the pests like Sunflower moth, Seed weevil, Beetle, Caterpillar, and Midge.|
|Disease||Trim off the diseased plant part and use copper fungicide to control the plant from Bacterial stem rot, Sclerotinia basal rot, and Sunflower rust.|
Red Sunflowers For Sale
The mesmerizing beauty can become a part of your garden and living room. So look at the site to bring a new Red Sunflowers home at a reasonable price.
|Stores to buy||Shipping Time|
|Amazon||5-8 business days|
|Hirt's Gardens||Within 2 business days|
|Botanical Interests||4-12 business days|
|Etsy||1–3 business days|
The beautiful bloom of the Red Sunflower has various varieties among the shades of maroon and red that you can regrow every year.
Nevertheless, do not hesitate if you are planning to bring the Red Sunflower, as the care tips are easy to go with.