As a plant enthusiast, I have different plants in my house, including the Polka Dot Plant, to add some color. It turned out to be a very demanding plant. Sometimes we are completely unaware of the polka dot plant dying. So, we have to know the ethical requirements of the plants that we have.
The reasons for its dying might be overwatering or underwatering. In addition, Unsuitable lighting, humidity, inappropriate fertilizers, and feeding more to your plant could also be the reasons.
Listen to this article here
The polka dot plant is very dramatic. Wilts when they need water and perks back instantly after getting it.
Sometimes the relationship we have with our houseplants is very positive, and then there are those plants that can not stop giving us a hard time either because we do not understand how to care for them or do not have the suitable condition for them.
Some plants look fine one day, and the next, they look dead. Polka dot plant is one of them.
But do not worry, I have some tips for you that will help you know why is your Polka Dot Plant is dying and how you can save them.
Table of Contents
- Signs That Show Polka Dot Plant is Dying
- What are the reasons for the Polka Dot Plant drooping?
- Reasons for Your Polka Dot Plant Dying
Signs That Show Polka Dot Plant is Dying
There are different signals that your plant shows when it is dying. The hint they give varies because the reason for them breaking is different.
Every time plants show these kinds of signs does not mean they are dying.
It would be better to confirm rather than jump to a conclusion.
- Sagging of leaves
- Yellowing leaves
- Tips of leaves turning brown
- Brownish spots on the top of leaves
- Wilting leaves
- Soil not holding water
- Water not being absorbed
- Roots coming out from the drainage hole
What are the reasons for the Polka Dot Plant drooping?
It is one of the most pleasant indoor plants. However, when the requirements are not fulfilled, it starts drooping and sagging.
There are different grounds for your plant drooping. Underwatering and overwatering are significant factors. Besides them, humidity, temperature, light condition, and surplus fertilizer can cause Polka Dot Plant sagging.
- Watering your plant more or less than required causes drooping of the Polka Dot Plant.
- If the temperature is not suitable or warm enough, the Polka Dot plant will sag.
- Lack of humidity also causes drooping.
- Shallow light and direct bright light are not favorable for the Polka Dot Plant and droops.
- Excess and lack of fertilizers both cause drooping.
Reasons for Your Polka Dot Plant Dying
There are different reasons for your plant dying. We make some common mistakes that can kill our plants, which are mentioned below with the solution.
Underwatering and Overwatering
Polka Dot plant thrives in moderately moist soil, which means it requires enough water to be healthy.
Underwatering causes drooping, sagging, and browning of the leaves, whereas overwatering causes wilting and yellowing of plant leaves.
It means your plant looks stressed.
- During summer, water your plant regularly as the soil dries out quickly. Ease up on watering hands during winters and in spring, resume the watering routine.
- It would be better to check the moisture level in the soil. You can do this by poking your finger or wooden stick to see whether your plant is suffering from less or more water.
If your wooden stick or finger is dry, this means the soil is dry too. In such a case, watering your plant is the best thing to do, and also allow the water to drain correctly so that the excess water drains out from the pot.
If your soil looks clammy, This means you have overwatered your plant. You can let the soil dry quickly or make sure the excess water gets drained. If the condition is extreme, you can do the repotting of a plant by using new soil or pot mixture.
Temperature and Humidity
Polka Dot Plant loves the humid and moderately warm environment.
The perfect temperature for the plant is between 70’C to 80’C.
If the temperature fluctuates, it indicates by the browning and wilting of leaves.
This plant likes a humid environment; the ideal humidity is around 50% which you will find in most homes.
Plants start to droop, sag, fuzz, and die if the moist level is not maintained.
- It would be better to use the thermometer to check the temperature so that you can find a place around your home where it is most suitable for the Polka Dot Plant.
- You can group your plants to increase the humidity level.
- If it becomes hard for you to maintain the humidity level, you can buy a plant humidifier that is readily available in the market.
The appropriate time to add fertilizer for Polka Dot Plant is once a month as a heavy feeder.
However, excess feeding also causes blocking of pores and drooping, yellowing, and browning of the leaves. It eventually causes the death of your plant.
- Well-balanced nutrients once a month would be good for the Polka Dot Plants.
The bright indirect sunlight is suitable for Polka Dot Plant. The plant can do well in medium indirect sunlight.
Direct light brings fading colors, drooping of leaves, curling of leaves, and other health problems to plants.
Meager light is the reason for the leggy growth of your plant and fading colors.
- The better spot to place your plant would be near windows where indirect bright sunlight is available.
Do Polka Dot Plants die after flowering?
There is a high chance of the Polka Dot Plant dying after flowering. The plant has a short life span which becomes dormant after flowering and dies. You can prolong the life of the Polka Dot Plant by picking the buds before they flower.
Do Polka Dot Plants die in winter?
During winters, the light is low, so watering your plant sparingly, making the soil barely moist, and maintaining other requirements are essential. Otherwise, there is a chance of your plant dying during winter.
Do Polka Dot Plants come every year?
It is an annual plant. This plant will grow until it reaches the end of its lifecycle, becoming dormant. If the plant is grown indoors, it lives for around two years, whereas if grown outdoors, it dies after a year and grows back again by self-seeding.
If you are also planning for a snake plant, have a look on how to propagate it !!!
You have to be very careful and give time to this plant for its healthy growth as it is very demanding.
To take care of this plant, we must provide proper lighting, humidity, water, and nutrients. This will help the plant thrive and prosper.
Hence, the Polka Dot Plant is easy to take care of if the growing requirement is fulfilled.