The Drumsticks growing in the Moringa tree often overshadow the blossoms, but the flower also deserves a place in our diets and gardens due to their unbelievable health benefits.
The Moringa flower (Moringa oleifera) grows on the Moringa tree and is popular for the beneficial vegetable Drumsticks.
So, go through this complete article to learn about Moringa flowers and their potential benefits in detail.
Table of Contents Show
What Does Moringa Flower Look Like?
Moringa Flower is a small flower with a size of about 1-1.5 inches in diameter. These beautiful blossoms contain five delicate petals.
Mostly, the petals are white with yellow hues. You may also find some varieties with pale yellow blossoms.
The Moringa flower contains both male and female reproductive organs in the same flower. The yellow particle you see in the flower is pollen.
Pollinators like insects, birds, etc pollinate the flower where pollen reaches to same or different flowers to reproduce.
These beautiful blossoms bloom in clusters in the Moringa tree. However, the flowers have a very short lifespan, only about 2-3 days.
Is Moringa Flower Edible?
All parts of the Moringa tree are edible, including flowers, leaves, and young stems.
The taste of Moringa flowers is mildly sweet, and you can eat them raw, fried, boiled or steamed. They can be great afternoon snacks, too.
Either you use them raw inside a salad or cook them with other vegetables; this flower will enhance the taste of your dish.
Additionally, you can also use them in your soups, stew, curries, and as a garnish in desserts.
Moringa Flower Benefits
Moringa flower is good for every age group as it is loaded with several essential requirements like vitamins and minerals.
Due to different vitamins like Vitamin A, C and E, consuming the flower will bless you with a good immune system.
Here are other health benefits of Moringa flowers:
- Antioxidants in the flower due to compounds like quercetin and kaempferol can prevent your cells and tissues from damage and repair damaged parts.
- Anti-inflammatory properties like flavonoids and phenols help prevent swellings due to injuries and infections.
- Anti-diabetic properties in the flower help to reduce your blood sugar level. This flower will benefit people who are suffering from type-2 diabetes.
- The Cardiac benefits of the Moringa flower help to improve your heartbeat. The extract from the flowers will reduce your bad cholesterol level and enhance the activities of good cholesterol.
- Digestive properties activate due to the vitamins and fibre that help to reduce stomach upsets and other gastrointestinal problems.
Did you know? The Moringa tree was once viral on social media as some people claimed that it can produce electricity.
From Editorial Team
Do Not Overconsume Moringa Flowers!
Although Moringa flowers have good medicinal properties, it’s not a good idea to overconsume the flowers as it can invite stomach upsets and other digestive problems.
Moreover, there is limited research on the medicinal benefits of the flower in pets. So, it’s better to consult with your veterinarian before feeding the blossoms to your beloved pets.