Are you looking for the sweet hot pepper, a little spicier than the jalapeño pepper? If yes, Joker chili is the answer!
If you want to know more about the Joker pepper, continue reading the article to the end.
Table of Contents Show
What is Joker Chili?
Joker chili, also known as Chilli Pepper ‘Hot Joker’ or chilli Joker, is a variety of Capsicum annuum, which grows 12 inches tall.
It produces 2-3 inches long and 1-inch-wide chili pepper fruit with a tapered shape and a pointed tip.
When young, these peppers are green and turn bright, yellow and orange as they are ripe. Joker chili is so compact that it can grow in small pots, hanging baskets and gardens.
Joker chili is medium-hot chili peppers with 10,000-25,000 SHU. This suggests that Joker pepper is hotter than average or a jalapeño pepper.
Culinary Uses of Joker Chili
Joker chili is versatile enough to serve various dishes.
The flavor of Hot Joker peppers is similar to the mixture of a jalapeño pepper and habanero pepper. But it is not as hot as habanero pepper.
You can eat these peppers fresh or raw or add to the salads. Besides, they also serve cooked dishes, such as sauces, soups, and stews.
In fact, Joker chili is rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium.
If you are eager to start with these peppers, here are some ideas to prepare the recipe.
- Chop the Joker chili peppers and add them to the fresh salsa or guacamole.
- If you want to prepare flavorful and spicy sauce, use the Joker chili based on your taste.
- Also, you can add Hot Joker to the stir-fries or other vegetable dishes.
- Finally, dry the chili peppers and crush them to powder or other spice mixes.
How to Grow Joker Chili?
Hot Jockers are relatively compact and busy peppers, which can be ideal for pots and patios. You can grow these peppers in a small pot or container or on the ground.
Collect the pepper seeds from the local market or online stores and soak the seeds in the water overnight.
Also, make sure that you have sowed the seeds in the spring after the last frost, as peppers are the warm season crops.
Start with the following steps:
- Sow the Hot Joker seeds 1/4 inches deep in the soil or potting mix and 12 inches apart.
- Water the soil keeping it moist, not soggy.
- The viable seeds germinate into seedlings in 7-10 days after sowing.
- Once the pepper seedlings grow with 2-3 leaves, thin them 18 inches apart.
- Also, transplant the seedlings to the bigger pot or garden.
Your pepper plant is ready to harvest in 2-3 months after planting. You can cut and collect peppers in the vegetable carrier and store them in a cold place for later use.
How do You Take Care of a Hot Joker Chilli Plant?
Peppers are heavy eaters, so you need to feed them every couple of weeks with balanced or vegetable fertilizer. Besides, you need to provide them with a good amount of sun, or full sun and well-draining soil.
Besides, here are some extra tips for caring for Hot Joker for maximum yield.
- Cage or stake the pepper plants to prevent them from bending down.
- Prune and deadhead the peppers often or frequently to boost the growth and fruiting.
- Also, add mulch around the peppers to help retain water or moisture and subdue grass.
- Protect the peppers from cold and frost in the greenhouse, or wrap them up in plastic.
From Editorial Team
Remember the Calendar!
You need to start the Joker chili in June and July when the temperature is warm.
Also, the pepper is to be harvested in the months ranging from July to October.