Imagine watching a whole forest ecosystem filled with living miniature woody trees with tiny lush leaves inside a small bubble. Bonsai Ficus terrarium can fulfill your dream.
So, to choose or create the best bonsai Ficus terrariums matching your visual interest and your living space, go through this entire article.
Table of Contents Show
Can You Put a Ficus in a Terrarium?
There are many bonsai trees that can easily survive inside a terrarium. However, it’s not possible for every plant to thrive inside such a miniature ecosystem.
To fit a bonsai tree inside a terrarium, you must select the humidity-loving bonsai trees like Ficus varieties.
Nevertheless, you cannot put every ficus species as they are very fast growing and range in bigger size. Its better to choose Ficus varieties that are of very small size.
Ficus bonsai varieties like Creeping Fig (Ficus pumila), Weeping Fig (Ficus benjamina), and Ginseng Ficus (Ficus microcarpa) are suitable for terrariums. These Ficus varieties need high humidity and you can grow them in a closed terrarium.
Remember that each Ficus varieties have their own specific needs. So, it’s vital to consider your priorities and the needs of your bonsai to make them thrive for a long duration.
How To Make Bonsai Ficus Terrarium?
To make your own DIY bonsai Ficus terrarium, you must choose a healthy Ficus bonsai and a terrarium container bigger than the size of your bonsai.
If you already have a container, choose the Ficus that easily fits inside your terrarium.
- Gather all the terrarium kits like drainage layer, terrarium soil, charcoal, spray bottle grow light, etc.
- On the bottom of the terrarium, set the drainage layer and add a layer of soil filling 2/3 of the container.
- Make a hole in the soil mix inside the terrarium.
- Carefully, separate the Ficus bonsai from its pot and place the bonsai with roots on the hole you made.
- Fill the empty space and add the stone, mosses, and other miniature elements to decorate the terrarium.
- Also, water and mist your terrarium regularly but avoid overwatering.
- If your terrarium is open, place it in a location receiving 6-8 hours of direct sunlight. For a closed terrarium, grow lights are vital.
- Additionally, regularly prune your Ficus bonsai to maintain perfect shape and size.
Bonsai Ficus Terrarium For Sale
You can find bonsai Ficus terrariums at prices ranging from $50 to several hundred dollars depending on the Ficus variety and the size of the terrariums.
So, before purchasing, make sure you can fulfill the specific demands of your Ficus bonsai inside the terrarium.
|Place To Buy
|2-4 business days
|Within 5 Business days
|1-2 business days
From Editorial Team
Best Ficus Bonsai For Terrariums!
Choosing the best Ficus variety for a terrarium depends on your priorities and the type of terrarium. Among all, Creeping Fig is versatile due to its fast-growing nature and suitability for both closed and open terrariums.
If you want another ficus variety with a medium growth rate suitable for both open and closed terrariums, You can choose Weeping Fig.
However, if your terrarium is small and you want a miniature Ficus Bonsai with a slow growth rate, Ginseng Ficus bonsai is best.