If you cannot afford diamonds in real life, you can buy or grow black diamond watermelon. But you need to differentiate between black diamond watermelon vs regular watermelon.
Regular watermelons are the most common varieties that you can easily find in any commercial market. Meanwhile, you can only find black diamonds rarely in the common stores.
So, go through this complete article to know how and why rare black diamond differs from regular ones.
Table of Contents Show
Black Diamond Watermelon & Regular Watermelon [Similarities]
Both black diamond and regular watermelon share a common family Cucurbitaceae. Also, they are from the same genus, Citrullus.
Moreover, both are cultivars of the same watermelon species Citrullus lanatus which includes several other watermelon cultivars.
- Both cultivars prefer to thrive in a sunny location and grow well in hot summer months.
- The fruit flesh of both watermelons is loaded with high water content.
- You can see the red flesh in both varieties after you cut the fruits.
- You can find similar sweet and juicy tastes in both varieties when you eat.
- Moreover, both fruits can be great summer snacks, providing hydration and refreshment.
- You can find seedless varieties of both regular and black diamond watermelons.
- Also, you can use the juicy flesh of both varieties for juice, jelly, desserts, smoothies, and many other food items.
- Black diamonds and regular watermelons are rich sources of water, vitamins, Lycopene, and potassium.
- Both cultivars are susceptible to mealybugs, slugs, spider mites, etc., and fungal pathogens like powdery mildew.
black diamond Watermelon Vs. Regular Watermelon [Differences]
Black diamond watermelons are the heirloom varieties that are basically larger than other regular watermelon varieties.
However, the nutrition, like vitamins, minerals, and lycopene, is generally higher than black diamond watermelon.
|Features||Black Diamond Watermelon||Regular Watermelon|
|Appearence||Dark green to black rind||Medium green rind with patterns|
|Size||About 50 pounds, Bigger than regular Watermelon||Small than Black Diamond, weigh about 10-20 pounds|
|Seeds||Lesser seeds than regular Watermelon||Dark black seeds, Found more than Black Diamond|
|Availability||Rare variety||Widely available|
|Price||Expensive||Cheaper than Black Diamond|
|Shape||Round to oval||More elongated than Black Diamond|
|Flesh||Dark red||Pink to red|
From Editorial Team
Other Heirloom Varieties of Citrullus Lanatus!
Besides black diamonds and regular watermelons, you can find other Herrloom varieties like Sugar Baby, Moon, Stars, Crimson Sweet, Ice Box, Tender Sweet, etc.
These are the new varieties that fall under the same species and are expensive. However, the taste is very unique and sweeter than regular watermelons.