The striking bluish-gray foliage of the Moonglow Juniper makes it stand out among the conifers, but it still lacks in growth rate compared to fellow Junipers.
Moonglow Juniper can go beyond the average height if you can create a proper growing environment.
Table of Contents Show
How Big Do Moonglow Juniper Get?
Juniperus scopulorum ‘Moonglow’ is a coniferous tree from the Cupressaceae family.
These evergreen Junipers are native to the mountain of North America and grow best in a cool climate. So, the common name is Mountain Junipers.
They require full sunlight and well-draining acidic to natural soil (pH 6-7.5) to get such size.
Junipers have upright pyramidal growth with dense muti-stemmed foliage making them one of the preferred choices for landscaping.
Also, the foliage is tough, which deer do not enjoy, making the Moonglow Junipers deer resistant.
Further, the plant is hardy from zone 3 to zone 9 and keeps growing unaffected as long as the temperature is above -10°F and gets ample sunlight.
While a partial shade may not have a major problem on the tree, it may grow as a medium-shrub than a tree.
Moreover, in a perfect situation, these plants can grow over 21 feet, which is quite difficult to attain.
How Fast Does a Moonglow Juniper Grow?
Like most Junipers, Moonglow is grown from cuttings or via air layering. You also have another way to get a sapling of Moonglow Juniper for a nursery nearby.
They are planted at least 3 feet apart in the fall for proper root growth and adaptation to the soil by the spring.
Regardless of the method of growing, Moonglow Juniper is a slow grower that takes 10 to 12 weeks for root establishment.
The slow growth of Moonglow Juniper has more to do with its non-aggressive roots, meaning the deep taproots do not spread quickly.
It can be a great companion to shallow-rooted plants like Sedum and succulents like Blue Agave.
Moreover, Moonglow Juniper has a lifespan of more than 50 years, which is less compared to the fast-growing varieties.
Here are a few fast-growing Junipers to know about.
|Alligator Juniper (Juniperus deppeana)
|65 ft/ 7 ft
|Chinese Juniper (Juniperus chinensis)
|5-7 ft/ 15-20 ft
|Drooping Juniper (Juniperus flacccida)
|15-30 ft/ 8-20ft
How To Make Moonglow Juniper Grow Fast?
Although the plant grows to an inch naturally, you can still invigorate the Moonglow Junipers to grow faster.
Here are a few care requirements you need to fulfill for the plant.
- Choose a spot that receives sunlight for 5 to 6 hours daily for outdoor growing. Place the plant near the south-facing window that receives full daylight for indoor use.
- Water the newly planted Juniper deeply once every week to help establish its root system.
- Make sure to till the soil to make them porous and well-draining to avoid soggy soil that may hinder growth.
- You can use a layer of organic or plastic mulch to conserve moisture and temperature on cold days.
- Feed the plant with slow-release fertilizer formulated for evergreen shrubs in the early spring.
- Inspect the plants for signs of pests and diseases, although less susceptible. Use Neem oil or organic pesticide against pests and diseases.
From Editorial Team
Prune for Denser Growth!
Begin to prune the Moonglow Junipers after a year to encourage lateral branching.
Avoid cutting back into the old wood, as they do not regenerate from bare branches.