Recently, the triple death incidents in Leongatha, Australia, resulting from Death Cap Mushroom poisoning, have surged interest and a sense of awareness in Colorado, U.S.
Death Cap Mushroom (Amanita phalloids) resembles edible Mushrooms causing confusion about whether it is edible.
So, in this article, you will find every detail to identify Death Cap Mushroom and ways to eliminate it.
Table of Contents Show
What Does Death Cap Mushroom Look Like?
The cap of this deadly mushroom ranges about 2-7 inches in diameter with undulated edges.
Death Cap Mushroom comes in various colors: green, yellow, brown, cream, and white.
Moreover, you can see white gills just below the cap that is not connected to the main stem.
Furthermore, you can see a ring around the white stem and a sac-like structure on the stem’s base.
Additionally, you can see the white spore print if you leave it overnight on black paper.
You can find Death Cap Mushroom in deciduous woods of most parts of the US, including Colorado, California, etc.
However, the distribution is not as wide like European countries.
How Deadly Is Death Cap Mushroom?
Death Cap Mushroom is a severely toxic mushroom popular worldwide for Amatoxin.
When you accidentally ingest this Mushroom, you may not feel anything for several hours but normal.
After 1-2 hours of consumption, you may suffer from serious stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Your body will try to adjust to the situation, and you may feel relief after the severe pain. But it’s only the beginning.
Within 2-3 days of consumption, Amatoxin will spread throughout your body and starts to damage your liver and kidney too.
Thus, if you leave yourself untreated, this Mushroom may also lead you to death.
Recently, Death Cap Mushroom is the deadliest mushroom found in the Mountain West region in the US, like Colorado.
Not only humans but Death Cap Mushroom can also kill your pets if they ingest even a small amount.
So, in case of unusual behavior in your pets after accidental consumption, don’t be late to contact:
What Is The Antidote For Death Cap Mushroom?
As there is no specific antidote for Death Cap Mushroom, you must hydrate the patient as much as possible.
Hydrating the suffering person will help to regulate blood pressure and improves body function.
Moreover, it’s vital to take consumers to the doctor. Professionals use activated charcoal to remove toxins if it’s not too late.
Furthermore, close observation of the liver is important as the toxin first attacks the liver.
In extreme situation, a liver transplant is necessary to save the patient from death. For successful treatment, toxins must not stay in the body too long.
How To Remove Death Cap Mushroom?
Removing Death Cap Mushroom is a risky task, so it’s better to hire professionals to safely detach and kill them.
Remember not to compost them, as they can make the compost toxic and dangerous.
- Wear protective gloves and long-sleeved clothes to avoid toxins on your hands.
- Prepare a plastic bag or a container before starting the task.
- Try to uproot the whole mushroom at once. Otherwise, cut the mushroom from its base.
- Place the mushrooms in a plastic bag and seal the bag before the spore spreads.
- Never throw the mushrooms anywhere, as animals can ingest them.
- Dispose the sealed plastic bag in the trash container.
Due to the vibrant colors, Death Cap Mushroom looks just like a flower. Thus, never pick it with bare hands. If you do, wash your hands with soap and water.
From Editorial Team
Never experiment with any Mushrooms for your health unless you are 100 percent whether they are safe.
Also, educate the children and unknown people about the deadly effects of toxic mushrooms.
Some lookalikes of Death Cap Mushroom are Ceaser’s Mushroom, Blusher Mushroom, Agaricus, and others.